The Big Reveal

Earlier this week, I wrote about the difficulties I had designing a necklace for today’s reveal even though my partner, Kristen Latimer of MJM Jewelry Designs, sent me so many beautiful beads and a silver toggle clasp. But I persevered

And ended up making two necklaces! With different designs. I’m not sure what happened. I started out to make necklace number two (below) and ended up with necklace number one. (Further down in the post). I used the focal bead in necklace number one and still had a lot of beads left along with the clasp. So I used the clasp as a jumping off point for a new focal piece and built necklace number two around it. I am happy with the results although I would not want to wear necklace number two in the hot weather we are having right now on the east coast of the U.S.

Necklace Number Two

There’s a lot going on in necklace number two and I wanted the components to hang correctly. I actually sat in front of a mirror for part of the process to make sure the components hung the way I wanted.

The dapped forms have a little pattern on the back made with a rolling mill.

The circle between the two beads on the focal is fused fine silver. The sterling silver dangle with the soldered ring was from a component I made and took apart. I was going to make bullet ends to finish the necklace but then I decided to wire wrap and chose steel wire over silver.

I used a combination of metals including brass, copper, sterling silver and iron. The tube beads are etched copper. I used scrap fabric and ribbon, but the blue is the ribbon that my partner Kristen Latimer of MJM Jewelry Designs used to wrap the package of beads. I dyed it blue and cut it down the middle.

And now for the piece where I used the focal bead and the steel wire I found on the sidewalk.

Necklace Number One

You can see how I used the piece of steel I cut from the round I found on the sidewalk. I capped the ends with brass washers and silver beads. And I did end up trapping the focal bead in a trapeze-like setting. It’s hard to ball the ends of wire when you have glass beads on them, but I had to do it to get the look I wanted. I was very careful because I had already tried this in an earlier version of the focal and did not want to push my luck! The pendant is on a thick rubber cord with a magnet closure. It does not need anything else.

I balled and wrapped all kinds of wire.

I made the lentil bead from copper I had etched. Them I wondered whether I could coat the bead with silver. I looked for information online and couldn’t find anything concrete. Well, since no one told me not to do it, I went ahead and did it. The other side if the bead is entirely silver coated but I like this side because you can see that the two metals together.

This was a learning experience! I doubt if I would have made either necklace if not for the Blog party. Thanks to Lori for organizing it and Kristen for picking the right beads!

Check out all of the other participants revealing their creations today. Press here for a list of the participating blogs.